Friday, November 2, 2012

MTB and back again

For the past week, I've been back on my MTB.  Why?  Well, the front wheel of my singlespeed started making a sort of scraping/grinding noise, and I thought I should probably stay off it while I investigated the cause.  I didn't want it exploding on me, especially now that my journeys home are dark and wet.

It seems that the issue is the spokes.. either a loose spoke, or possibly the noise of the spokes rubbing together where they cross.  It's certainly collected some dirt between them.  I'll clean and oil them, and see if it makes a difference. 

Riding the MTB has been a bit of a revealation - I'd forgotten just how comfy it was!  The big tyres and springy suspension really take the edge out of the crappy road surfaces that I have to endure.  It makes me wonder what it must be like to be riding a full suspension bike, or a pootler with flex stem and suspension seat post.  It must be like riding on a cloud!  That would be awful, though.. I like to get some feedback from the road.  I remember hating powered steering when I first encountered it, because it removed most of the feedback and felt like one of my senses had been removed.  I got over it, though.  :)

It also feels safer to be on the MTB.  Going over potholes or rough surfaces doesn't feel life threatening anymore, allowing me to concentrate more on traffic rather than the road itself, and of course there's the riding position that allows me to see and be seen.  Leaves aren't much of a worry, either, what with the chunky tyres.

Carlton Cobra
My Carlton Cobra singlespeed, at work.

Today, however, I am back on the singlespeed!  The MTB might feel safer, but it is also significantly slower.  It's incredibly annoying to be pedalling flat out, thinking I'm making really good time, then get home 10 minutes later than if I'd used the singlespeed.  Even more annoying is that I never really push myself on the singlespeed, because I spin out too soon.  So a flat out ride on the MTB isn't as quick as a (relatively) sedate ride on the singlespeed.  It just goes to show how much difference tyres, gears, and weight can make!

No comments:

Post a Comment